Sneek Peek into Chapter 1

The fast begins that night with the dogs during the walk. Therefore the meal I consumed a couple of hours earlier would be my last solid meal until dinner on Monday, November 7th.  All I can think of as I wake up is holy cow, what did I just get myself into?

The day starts off normal with the craziness of having 2 young boys and 2 dogs. I had re-seeded the back yard with winter grass the week before so the mutts are not allowed back there. I have to put them on leashes as they take care of their business in the front of the house. Of course Connor wants to come out and help and Bryce is frustrated as we close the door and he is forced to watch from the window. Mommy just woke up and she wants quiet and coffee—not gonna happen.

We get through breakfast with limited food fights and everyone but me seems well nourished, including Bo who lies under the table and eats the droppings that he receives from the young men we are raising. Taleen works at our church and they have their big staff meeting every Tuesday from 9am-12pm, which is great for me because the boys go with her. The church provides free child care on occasions such as this for all employees which gives me time to work from home. However on this day, the person who was supposed to watch the kids called in sick, which means the boys are at home with me. So this is the way this fast is going to begin—great, can’t wait to see how this week goes.

I unfortunately expect the worst. So, in order to get out of the house for a while the boys and I take the dogs for a walk. This is no easy task as I have a dog leash in each hand and both boys in a double stroller. To top it off Bo came down with valley fever last month and therefore he can only go one lap around the neighborhood because of his strength being sapped. Connor gets restless after I drop Bo off at home after our first lap, so he is now on foot and holding Harley’s leash. All it takes is one stray dog to come booking around the corner and this walk is going to turn ugly, because Harley will probably end up chasing the dog and drag Connor down the street. Our second lap is uneventful. So, I decide to go back home and stop while I’m ahead. I’m also very thirsty at this point and I need something to drink. Connor ends up dropping his pants and peeing on the tree in our front yard. Good thing Mom’s not home.

The boys end up being very well behaved the rest of the morning and I am encouraged that this is going to be the start to a great day. I actually get some work done in the office while they hang out by the front window for an hour. I am feeling satisfied that I was able to accomplish anything with both boys being awake so we end up going into the living room and playing with some balls and trucks on the floor. Taleen shoots me a text around 11:15 to check up on us and is encouraged that things are going well. I think she was terrified that it was going to be a disaster this morning because I was used to having time to myself and I would get frustrated by the boys being home. So far, so good on day one.

Taleen gets home around 1pm and I am relieved of my parenting duties. I can’t seem to get my mind off the Giants, but I have to get some work done before I leave for the batting cage. I take care of some emails and paperwork, then I begin to surf the internet looking for any indications of openings with one of the Major League teams. The Padres and Angels just recently hired new general managers and rumor is there is going to be some coaching jobs available with them. I work as long as I can, then take off for my lesson at the cage with my newest client.


  1. Marissa

    Thu 10th Jan 2013 at 4:52 pm

    I’m intrigued, wanting to know how God shows up during the fast – I’ll have to read!

  2. Larry

    Thu 24th Jan 2013 at 2:25 am

    Looking forward to see how God takes a “good start” on day one and and turns the week into total dependence on him!


Add comment

© 2012. All rights reserved. | Site by DSmith. | Login